As we know, electrical appliances can be a cause of fires in the home. V2c has been advised that that some electrical fires were believed to have been caused by mobile phone chargers – other rechargeable items could also be at fault.
A Fire Chief has warned that Mobile phone chargers should not be plugged in overnight and that blazes have happened when phone chargers were left switched on in the outlet but not plugged into a mobile phone.
The Fire Chief went on to say that “These incidents highlight the danger of electrical fires - they can strike anytime, anywhere. Never leave items on charge or unattended for long periods – and ensure the plug to the charger is switched off even if it’s not connected to your phone/electrical item." He added, "Never mix and match chargers – always use the charger supplied, always follow the manufacturers’ instructions and guidance when using electrical items and turn off and unplug them before you go to bed.’’ In the unfortunate event of a fire, “Our advice is to be as prepared as possible in the event of fire, by ensuring that working smoke alarms are fitted in your home and that you have clear escape routes to enable you and your family to exit your home as quickly as possible.”
Dominic Littlewood, a consumer affairs expert, also revealed how leaving anything on charge for an extended period of time can be incredibly dangerous as it poses a fire risk.
Mr Littlewood said ‘’it's not just the fact that we're charging our phones for hours that should cause concern, but also where we're putting them.’’
Dom strongly advices against people sleeping with their phones in bed, as people place their devices under their pillow so they can hear their alarm clock in the morning.
Doing so could pose a fire risk - with phone batteries heating up while charging, and potentially setting fire to bed sheets and linen.
Instead, Dom says we should place our phones on a saucer, because that way if it gets hot, the china won't catch alight and we are better protected.
But the consumer expert also says charging your phone overnight could do long-term damage to its battery.
According to PC Advisor, you should never charge the battery all the way to 100 per cent. This is because constantly doing a full recharge will shorten the battery's lifespan. It is also important that the you don’t use fake phone chargers as though it’s often cheaper to buy imported, unofficial chargers, the cost can be much greater in the long run. Fake mobile phone chargers are often made with poor quality components that fail to meet UK safety regulations and this means they can cause injury, electric shocks and even fires.
To help you be safe, please see the hyperlink below for guidance